The Hoosier State Press Association recognizes excellence within the field of journalism and newspaper advertising through its annual awards programs.
Industry Leadership Awards
- Distinguished Service Award – The HSPA board of directors presents its Distinguished Service Award to an individual who has made a significant impact on the newspaper industry through HSPA committee work, board membership, lobbying efforts or legal action, has performed outstanding service to the newspaper industry in general, or has demonstrated service in the local community that reflected positively on its newspaper.
- Frank O’Bannon Sunshine Award – The O’Bannon Sunshine Award is presented to an individual, group or organization that has demonstrated outstanding efforts to protect and enhance the concepts of open government in Indiana.
- Blue Ribbon – Judges base this highest accolade of the HSPA Foundation Better Newspaper Contest on an overall evaluation of the editorial quality of the newspaper. The Blue Ribbon Award honors on daily and one non-daily newspaper, regardless of circulation size.
- Story of the Year – One story is selected by the Better Newspaper Contest judges as Indiana’s Story of the Year award winner.
- Photo of the Year – One photo is selected by the Better Newspaper Contest judges as Indiana’s Photo of the Year award winner.
- Ray Moscowitz Award – The Ray Moscowitz Award honors those who foster the advancement of the First Amendment. It recognizes journalistic achievement by a newspaper or newspaper professional who succeeded in opening records or meetings or otherwise lifting a veil of secrecy. Member newspapers may make nominations for this award given occasionally as endeavors merit it.
- James W. Brown Innovation Award – This award honors an innovation or initiative launched within the contest period that seeks to reach new readers or audiences using any resources available to the newsroom. The James W. Brown Innovation Award may or may not be given annually at the judge’s discretion.
- Innovation Award – This award is presented to the creator of the best new product or event that generates additional non-traditional revenue for the paper.
- Best of Show Ad – One ad is selected by judges as the best ad of the year.
- Best of Show Publication – One special section or niche publication is selected by judges as the best publication of the year.
- Best Use of Graphics – This award is presented to the run-of-print ad with the best graphics.