The Hoosier State Press Association invites newspaper professionals to submit nominations for the Frank O’Bannon Sunshine Award and Distinguished Service Award.
The honors will be presented during the Annual Meetings and Government Conference on Feb. 5-6 in Indianapolis.
How to nominate
What: Send the nominee’s name, biographical information, address and phone number, along with a letter explaining why you believe the nominee should receive a Sunshine Award or Distinguished Service Award.
When: Deadline for submissions is Friday, Nov. 22.
Who: Send information to Steve Key, HSPA executive director and general counsel, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 41 E. Washington St., Suite 301, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
The deadline for submitting nominations is Friday, Nov. 22.
Send the nominee’s name, biographical information, address and phone number, along with a letter explaining why you believe the nominee should receive a Sunshine or Distinguished Service award, to Steve Key, HSPA executive director and general counsel, at email@example.com or 41 E. Washington St., Suite 301, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
Written rationales should not exceed 500 words. Include any supporting documentation or evidence supporting your nomination.
Frank O’Bannon Sunshine Award
This award is presented to an individual, group or organization that has demonstrated outstanding efforts to protect and enhance the concepts of open government in Indiana.
While not limited to public officials, HSPA hopes to recognize worthy elected officials or public employees through this award.
The award is named after the late Indiana governor who was an advocate of the people’s right to know throughout his political career.
Nominees may be:
• Citizens who work to ensure the Open Door Law or Access to Public Records Act are followed in their community.
• Local or state officials who remained true to the philosophy of openness despite pressure to act in secret.
• An individual or an entire neighborhood organization, city or town council, or state agency may be nominated.
• The actions warranting recognition may have occurred in 2013, or the nomination may recognize years of work that exemplify open government and public participation in the process.
Distinguished Service Award
The board of directors of the Hoosier State Press Association presents its Distinguished Service Award to an individual who has contributed in one or more of the following ways:
• Made a significant impact on the newspaper industry in Indiana through service to HSPA in one or more of the following areas: committee work, board membership, lobbying efforts or legal action.
• Performed outstanding service to the newspaper industry in general.
• Demonstrated service in the local community that reflected positively on its newspaper.
Nominees must be:
• A present or former employee of an HSPA-member newspaper or affiliated with journalism through a university, college or newspaper association.
• An exemplary professional who brings credit to the newspaper industry. Length of service is a major qualifying criterion but not exclusively so.
• Nominations may come from HSPA-member newspaper publishers, editors or other employees, including members of the board of directors.