Q&A: Salary records for questionable medical leave


From the South Bend Trib­une:

Q: A council member has been on “medical leave” since July 28 following a drunken driving arrest. During that time, questions have been raised about whether he continues to be paid.

No one with the city will tell me one way or the other on the record, and the council member isn’t talking. Is there a specific record I can request that will have that information? 

A: You can ask to inspect the city’s check register or its equivalent to see what checks if any have been issued to the council member since that date.

Who is receiving money from the city is not a secret under Indiana law.

Contact Steve Key, HSPA executive director and general counsel, with media law questions at skey@hspa.com or (317) 624-4427.