Q&A: Inspecting redacted documents without paying


From the South Bend Tribune:

Q: Am I right that when we are notified that the court has redacted requested documents and indicate they are available, we can inspect them at no charge?

Then if we want copies we can decide which documents we want to be copied and thus only pay for those, correct?

A: Yes, there is no charge to inspect public records. You can always arrange with the court or any public agency to visit their office and inspect records, make notes from them, etc., without incurring any copying fees.

As you said, you could then request copies of particular pages or documents and pay the copying fee for those pages only.

Contact Steve Key, HSPA executive director and general counsel, with media law questions at skey@hspa.com or (317) 624-4427.