Q&A: Federal public notice rate


From The Indianapolis Star:

Q: When the federal government needs to place public notice advertising in our newspaper, what rate do we charge them? Do we charge the open rate or the state-mandated, capped rate?

A: The open rate applies here.

The state law mandating a limited rate for state and local government public notices does not apply to notices placed by the federal government, so you are free to charge them what you would charge attorneys or citizens who are required to publish public notices, such as estate administration or change of name.

Contact Steve Key, HSPA executive director and general counsel, with media law questions at skey@hspa.com or (317) 624-4427.