Congratulations to everyone honored at the 2022 Hoosier State Press Association Foundation Journalism Awards. This is the 54th year for these awards that recognize journalism excellence from newspapers across Indiana.
View all the winners here and look for coverage in the Sept. 29 issue of the Indiana Publisher.
• Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust Environmental Journalism Award, Andy Knight, The Herald Bulletin (Anderson), Indiana In-Depth Environment
• Photo of the Year, John Flora, The Lebanon Reporter, House Fire
• Story of the Year, Tony Cook & Johnny Magdaleno, Indianapolis Star, Red Flag Law investigation
General Excellence is not judged but based on the total points earned in all of the categories. Each first, second and third place writing and photography award receives points respectively. Sections, Websites and design awards receive double points for each place.
• Division 1, Nondailies less than 1,500, The Times-Post (Pendleton)
• Division 2, Nondailies more than 1,500, Brown County Democrat
* Division 3, Dailies less than 6,000, The News Sun (Kendallville)
* Division 4, Dailies more than 6,000, The Indianapolis Star
Blue Ribbon Newspapers salutes the top Daily and Nondaily newspapers in the state. This is the highest accolade of our contest. It is based on an overall evaluation of editorial quality.
Blue Ribbon Nondaily Newspapers
• Third Place, Corydon Democrat
• Second Place, Brown County Democrat
• First Place, Lebanon Reporter
Blue Ribbon Daily Newspapers
Third Place, The Republic (Columbus)
Second Place, Herald Bulletin (Anderson)
First Place, Daily Journal (Franklin)