The Eugene S. Pulliam Internship Program is named in honor of the late publisher of The Indianapolis Star and The Indianapolis News. The program offers work at daily and nondaily newspapers in Indiana and encourages students to enter careers in newspapers.
- Students must have at least one semester of coursework remaining following completion of the internship. Graduate students and former HSPA Pulliam interns are not eligible.
- Applicants must be residents of Indiana or attend an Indiana college or university.
- Students must have reliable automobile transportation to and from the workplace.
Submission deadline: 5 p.m., Jan. 17, 2020.
How to apply
Students – As part of the application, students must apply online and submit all of the required documents by the deadline above. The required letter of recommendation must be received in the HSPA office by the same deadline.
- Work experience/resume reflecting your ability to perform an internship;
- Letter of referral or recommendation from college newspaper, yearbook or faculty adviser for whom you have worked, or from a professor you had in a newspaper-related class (i.e. journalism, photography, graphic arts).
- Samples of your work reflecting your ability to perform an internship in the areas you selected. Writing samples may be Word or PDF files. Artwork must be PDF files. Photographs must be jpg format with captions. If you want to be considered for a photojournalism internship, you will have the opportunity to upload up to 10 unrelated single photographs, and optionally one picture story (of up to 10 photographs) and one link to a video. (If you are applying for more than one area, you must provide samples in each applicable area, i.e. three writing samples and at least three but not more than 10 digital pictures photography samples.) In lieu of work samples, indicate your work experience that would qualify you for internship; and
- A personal statement of no more than 400 words (typed and double-spaced) explaining why you are interested in serving an internship at an Indiana newspaper. Include any other information not on the application form you believe will assist the selection committee.
- Writing samples may be submitted in Word (.doc or docx), text, or PDF formats.
- Photographs are submitted in .jpg format, with captions in the Caption or Description fields.
What applicants need to know
Although most internships will occur during the summer months, they may be performed any time prior to Dec. 31 of the given year.
Pulliam Internships pay a stipend of $350 per week based on a 35-hour week. These students will work for 10 weeks for a total not to exceed $3,500. The newspaper pays the intern through its payroll system used for regular staff members. All internships are considered 35-hour-per-week, full-time positions.
Although we attempt to place students with newspapers close to their residence, logistics often require interns to commute. For that reason, candidates should have access to reliable transportation. In some instances students may even wish to seek temporary housing. To help us best place a candidate with a nearby newspaper, applicants should carefully complete the location section of the application.
Applying for a photojournalism internship?
You will need to download a zip file of the required folder structure. The zip file will download to the download folder set in your browser’s preferences. Unzip the folder and read the README_NOW file that is enclosed. You will need to now how to create a zip file of that folder after including your photographs in the folder structure. If you do not know how to create a zip file, the technical support people at your school can help.
Picture Preparation for a photojournalism internship
- Images must be JPEG format.
- Recommended JPEG compression setting is 10.
- The minimum accepted image size is 2,000 px and no longer than 3,000 on the longest side.
- All images must be submitted in 8bit Adobe RGB colorspace.