The Bloomington Herald-Times, part of Gannett Inc. and the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to cover IU Athletics. This reporter will team up with IndyStar’s Indiana University reporter to form an unmatched, powerhouse tandem on one of the premier beats in college athletics. We are looking for someone who can produce high-value storytelling, including enterprise stories that provide context and analysis, entertaining features and investigative pieces. The ability to break news is critical, and this reporter must be able to develop strong sourcing.
- Primary responsibilities will focus on Indiana University Athletics.
- When not in college basketball season, this person will help focus on preps and enterprise.
- Would also assist in coverage of big events (Indy 500, NBA All-Star Game, NCAA events)
- Be a curious, assertive and self-starting journalist who jumps to report on breaking news and trending topics with urgency.
- Harness social media and messaging platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and/or Reddit, as a newsgathering tool.
- Optimize stories for target audience groups using SEO and metrics information.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least four years of reporting at a news outlet, with experience on a Division I beat preferred.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to take photos and record video/audio in the field.
- Solid news judgment and adherence to journalism ethics.
- Dedication to fairness and accuracy, as well as a commitment to report with compassion and sensitivity.