The Indianapolis Star/indystar.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a strong, strategic, experienced and innovative executive editor to lead the award-winning publication.
The editor must have a track record of leading and producing powerful journalism that changes lives and consistently turns occasional readers into loyal subscribers.
The ideal candidate will be a transformational leader –– someone passionate about watchdog and enterprise reporting who also possesses a deep knowledge of audience.
This editor must see and show daily why diversity and inclusion are at the forefront of what we do and how we operate.
We want someone who challenges the status quo, builds teams and innovates.
The Indianapolis Star is the state’s largest news organization and won a Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting in 2021 for "Mauled: When police dogs are weapons" and was a finalist in 2022 for an investigation into Indiana’s red flag law.
This is a newsroom that consistently produces revelatory work that leads to dialogue and important change. It also is a newsroom known for strong breaking news coverage, beautiful storytelling and strong voices who champion accountability and justice.
We need a strong communicator and collaborator, as well as someone who understands how to inspire and lead even more sophisticated work through community engagement, social media and other platforms.
This person must have impeccable journalism credentials, outstanding leadership skills, and a keen grasp of the ever-changing digital space, including a strong knowledge of visual storytelling. The right editor is people-centric, has high standards, remains focused on the most important priorities and opportunities, and easily shifts between strategy and execution.
The executive editor will work collaboratively with partners in the USA TODAY Network Midwest Region, sharing resources as warranted with other newsrooms in Indiana and combining on coverage when needed.
- Uphold the highest journalism standards across digital and print platforms, strongly support the First Amendment and conceive, pursue and execute watchdog reporting.
- Develop and implement a multi-platform digital vision and strategy focused on achieving target audience specific goals and objectives.
- Provide leadership and be knowledgeable in state and local news, investigative journalism, public service, and government issues.
- Champion change management efforts that include strong communication of the company’s strategic initiatives, purpose, vision, culture and plan.
- Lead the planning and oversee execution of content strategies with a keen eye focused on strategic audiences. Special emphasis is placed on digital and other new platforms. Creativity and an ability to develop and execute innovative approaches are essential.
- Facilitate strong community connections with a relevant editorial voice and personal interaction.
- Attract, retain and develop top talent.
- Be a champion of diversity – with the understanding that diversity includes everyone and drives customer and operational innovation.
- Collaborate with other departments in the development and implementation of multi-platform products to grow audience and engagement.
- Works with the regional editor, Content Strategy Analyst and USA TODAY Network leaders across the Midwest to help journalists acquire the skills and tactics needed to attract and serve digital subscribers.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five years in significant leadership roles in a newsroom with demonstrated success.
- Clear understanding of the First Amendment and the highest regard for upholding those standards.
- Experience in high-level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
- Experience working in industries undergoing substantial change and transformation.
- A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement.
- Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
- Personal charisma, comfortable with public speaking and a commitment to staff interaction.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
- Demonstrated strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
- Demonstrated track record in recruiting a highly successful leadership team highly desirable.
- Experience driving a successful turnaround or transformation highly desirable.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your updated current resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position.
- Your portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.