The Journal Gazette, the largest news-gathering organization in northeast Indiana, has an opening for an energetic, aggressive reporter to cover city and county government and some statehouse news.
The successful candidate to join our Fort Wayne-based team will be an individual with:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field
- Daily newspaper reporting experience that includes government reporting
- An ability to develop rapport with a variety of sources beyond elected and appointed officials.
- A track record of exercising good news judgment, breaking stories outside of news releases and easily identifying follow-up stories – both second day and long range
- Ability to report accurately and write accurate, clear and compelling daily and enterprise stories that inform and engage readers.
- Demonstrated productivity
- Ability to work well with other reporters, editors, and other staff
- An interest in helping grow our readership through use of social media
- An interest in professional growth and career development
- Maturity to understand the evolving media landscape and the flexibility that requires in newsrooms
Experience with Excel, spreadsheets and databases is a plus.
If interested, send a resume, cover letter, the names and contact information for three job references, and six clips published in the past 12 months to Managing Editor Lisa Green at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is Noon on Tuesday, June 6.