The Lafayette Courier & Journal, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an energetic and passionate reporter to join our sports team to create impactful stories in an area that is fully invested in high school athletics. The Courier & Journal covers two dozen teams in an area where high school sports’ passion is high; this reporter will help capture that enthusiasm and popularity.
While the biggest games are still important, our readers have demanded meaningful coverage of sports on and off the field, and we need a reporter who can hunt down those stories. That includes breaking news, updates on teams and athletes, and well-sourced enterprise on topics including the rigors of student-athlete life, coach pay, team travel and recruiting of high school and college athletes.
This writer will also assist, as necessary, the Courier & Journal’s beat writer for coverage of Purdue University athletics, including recruiting.
Tucked in Central Indiana just 40 miles north of Indianapolis and two hours from Chicago, the Greater Lafayette area boasts a variety of reasons to explore the outdoors with trails and parks, sample locally owned cuisine, seek excellent academics at all levels of education, enjoy a flourishing and quaint downtown and celebrate a diverse live music and arts scene. Split by the Wabash River, Lafayette and West Lafayette, home of Purdue University, complement and support each other.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Work toward becoming the community’s leading voice of expertise in high school sports.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.). Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work with editor and content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate to provide appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Capture basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous reporting experience preferred; even better if you've covered sports.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on a mobile device.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Ability to work some nights and weekends.
- Comfort building a beat and communicating with athletes and coaches.
This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.