Indiana Lawyer managing editor
Indiana Lawyer, Indiana’s leading print and online legal publication, seeks an experienced writer, editor and digital journalist to become its next managing editor.
Are you a seasoned journalist with multimedia experience? Do you enjoy reading about court cases or digging into a case file? Did you toy with the idea of law school but decided on journalism? If so, this is the job for you.
As Indiana Lawyer managing editor, you’ll be part of a fast-paced newsroom that focuses both on digital daily news coverage and longer-form print coverage. We’re a news publication with a focus on the legal industry, so you’ll definitely write about the court system. But you’ll also have the chance to dig into other issues, such as legal education, government/politics, the opioid crisis, general breaking news, features articles, even sports — and more. The managing editor will carry his/her own print budget, writing at least two stories per biweekly issue.
The managing editor will also be the liaison between the editor and staff reporters. Finally, the managing editor will play a leading role in producing our biweekly news podcast, the Indiana Lawyer Podcast.
Other duties will include:
- Writing daily stories based on appellate court opinions.
- Writing enterprise stories for IL Daily.
- Editing staff stories for quality and content.
- Leading the IL team in the editor’s absence.
Here’s what you’ll bring to our team:
- Bachelor’s degree in a journalism-related field.
- Newsroom experience.
- A strong command of AP Style.
- Frequent and recent experience with digital media, particularly audio production.
- An understanding of the Indiana court system and a willingness to learn that system on an in-depth level.
- Critical thinking skills that enable you to read and understand court documents.
- Team mentality.
- Efficiency in writing and a strong respect for deadlines.
Here’s what we’ll give you:
- An office in the heart of downtown Indianapolis.
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and retirement benefits.
- Annual PTO awards and paid holidays.
- Access to Indiana’s leadership through interviews with court officials, lawmakers, lawyers, politicians and others with influence over how our state runs.
- A nuanced understanding of Indiana’s court system that brings the judiciary to life in new and interesting ways.
- Unique experience in court reporting not offered at other publications.
- Opportunities to write and be published daily.
If this sounds like you, please submit a resume, cover letter and three examples of your work, including at least one example of digital journalism, to Indiana Lawyer Editor Olivia Covington at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. Feb. 3. You can direct questions about the position to the same email address.
Indiana Lawyer is a division of IBJ Media, which also publishes Indianapolis Business Journal and Inside INdiana Business. The Lawyer publishes a biweekly newspaper as well as a daily email newsletter and regular news updates delivered to readers’ inboxes. Our print circulation is about 5,000 and growing, and our online offerings reach a statewide audience. The publication is read by legal and other professionals statewide and is honored annually by the Indiana Pro Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Check us out at theindianalawyer.com.