Q&A: Conservation district need public notices?


From the Spencer Even­ing World:

Q: The local soil and water conservation district holds monthly meetings. Other than simply advertising the meeting in our daily calendar of events, does notice need to be given in the form of a public notice advertisement?

A: For routine meetings, providing notice is sufficient under the Open Door Law. There may be special meetings that require a public notice advertisement – for example, the notice of a budget hearing prior to approving a budget for 2014.

Most meetings will only require 48 hours of notice to the newspaper.

Contact Steve Key, HSPA executive director and general counsel, with media law questions at skey@hspa.com or (317) 624-4427.