Q&A: Gambling license in advertisement


From The Rochester Sentinel:

Q: A local bar is advertising pull-tab gambling at the establishment. Does the client need to include a gambling license number in the ad? 

A: Taverns and bars can now obtain licenses that allow them to conduct Type II gambling, such as pull tabs.

This type of gambling is authorized through the Indiana Alcohol and Tobacco Commission. License numbers do not have to be included in a newspaper advertisement for these gambling games.

The rule is different from regulations for charity gaming, such as church bingo, under the Indiana Gaming Commission. Advertising by those non-profit entities must include the gaming license number.

Regardless, newspapers don’t have any liability for running the ad. The gaming commission would contact the advertiser, not the newspaper, in the case of any impropriety.

Contact Steve Key, HSPA executive director and general counsel, with media law questions at skey@hspa.com or (317) 624-4427.