Q&A: Claims as legal notices


From the The Lebanon Reporter:

Q: A local town has never run its claims as a legal notice. Neither have the schools. Are they required to do so? We get claims from the county.

A: No. Towns and schools are not required to publish their claims before approval for payment.

That’s been a requirement only for counties, but it was dropped in H.E.A. 1230. So the county no longer has to publish its claims prior to approval.

They still must publish court warrants prior to approval but not claims.

The information you reference is still public record available for inspection and copying.

Contact Steve Key, HSPA executive director and general counsel, with media law questions at skey@hspa.com or (317) 624-4427.