Congratulations to everyone honored at the 2023 Hoosier State Press Association Foundation Journalism Awards. This is the 55th year for these awards that recognize journalism excellence from newspapers across Indiana.
Download a PDF of the winners here.
• Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust Environmental Journalism Award honors excellence in reporting on environmental issues. The recipient receives $1,000 and a trip to the annual Society of Environmental Journalists conference. This year’s finalists were:
Division 1 Staff, The Tribune (Seymour), Local woman leads effort in cleaning up the county”, Sandhill crane fills sky at Christmas Bird Count, Legislation requires lead testing for kids
Division 2 Jayden Kennett, Indianapolis Recorder, Environmental organization warns 2m tons of coal ash could spill into Lake Michigan
Division 3 Amy Lavalley, Paul Eisenberg, Post Tribune, IDNR targets invasive species
Division 4 Sarah Bowman, Indianapolis Star, Indiana communities at risk for train disasters like the one that devastated Ohio town
Thia year’s recipient is Jayden Kennett, The Indianapolis Recorder, Environmental organization warns 2m tons of coal ash could spill into Lake Michigan
• Photo of the Year, Rob Baker, Daily Journal (Franklin), SYKO
• Story of the Year, Staff, Evansville Courier & Press, Alabama fugitives Casey White and Vicky White captured in Evansville
General Excellence is not judged but based on the total points earned in all of the categories. Points are awarded as follows: 10 points for first, 6 points for second, 2 points for third.
• Division 1, Nondailies less than 1,500, The Times-Post (Pendleton)
• Division 2, Nondailies more than 1,500, The Lebanon Reporter
* Division 3, Dailies less than 6,000, Daily Reporter (Greenfield)
* Division 4, Dailies more than 6,000, The Indianapolis Star
Blue Ribbon Newspaper salutes the top Daily and Nondaily newspapers in the state. This is the highest accolade of our contest. It is based on an overall evaluation of editorial quality.
Blue Ribbon Nondaily Newspaper
The Lebanon Reporter
Blue Ribbon Daily Newspaper