Each year, the HSPA Foundation will award two $1,000 scholarships to children or grandchildren of an employee or independent contractor of an HSPA member newspaper.
Who can apply
• Student entering any post-secondary education or vocational training
• Student in the second year of any post-secondary education or vocational training
• Previous recipients are not eligible
How to apply
• Applications are available in January and due in March. Complete the application and attach required documents including:
• Documentation of the acceptance to school
• Name of the teacher (and school) who will submit a letter of recommendation
• Letter from the publisher of current place of employment/contractor verifying employment/contract information and current job description of the parent or grandparent
• Letter (minimum 600 words to maximum of 1,500 words) written by you detailing why you should receive this scholarship
Benjamin Lynk, grandson of MaryJo Harney. MaryJo is the publisher of the Parke County Sentinel. She has been the owner/publisher for 49 years.
Emily Hoffman, is the daughter of Paul Hoffman of AIM Media Indiana. Paul is special publications editor. Paul has been involved with newspapers for 19 years.
Kathryn R. Gertin, daughter of Christopher and Leslie Gertin. Leslie Gertin works for The Scott County Journal in Scottsburg as the bookkeeper. Leslie has been employed with The Scott County Journal for 23 years.
Parker Marshall, son of Kevin and Cindy Marshall. Kevin Marshall works for The Indianapolis Star as a senior accounts manager. Kevin has worked for The Indianapolis Star for 23 years.